Monday, July 11, 2005

A Friend's Wedding

What a weekend! First, I had the news about Slave to Sensation, and then yesterday, I attended the wedding of one of my best friends in Japan. It was an absolutely beautiful event – since the bride was Japanese and the groom American, they didn’t do a traditional ceremony but something that suited both of them, including writing their own vows. The bride wore a white wedding dress with a really lovely veil for the ceremony and then changed into a gorgeous kimono for the reception. It was a wonderful day for two wonderful people.

I also learnt an interesting Japanese custom. Instead of throwing the bouquet, the bride held it in her hands and then ribbons were trailed out from it to all the single women in the room. Each woman held one of the ribbons and then on the count of three, all the women pulled gently. Only one ribbon remained attached to the bouquet and that’s the person who got the bouquet. It was lots of fun and perhaps a little more civilized than the traditional throw and grab. ;)

6 comments :

Anonymous said...

Beautiful tradition, and huge CONGRATS on your ST sale, Nalini!

Nalini Singh said...

Thanks, Olga. Emily - I think the ribbons are just added at the last minute before the actual pulling but don't quote me on that! :)

Anonymous said...

That's a beautiful tradition! Congrats on your ST sale, I'm a huge fan of your Desires, so I'll be looking forward to seeing your stories in a longer format!

Nalini Singh said...

Thanks, Laynie! You just made my day. :)

not12complain said...

Did u get picked?

Nalini Singh said...

Alas, no ;)