Friday, January 20, 2006

Revisions

I'm about to launch into some pretty big revisions for my next Desire so if I occasionally disappear from the blogfront, it's not because I'm off partying in some exotic place but because I'm hunched over the computer thinking like mad.

Unlike a lot of writers, I don't actually mind the technical process of revision, ie. restructuring a story, adding elements or taking them out. It seems to me that it uses a completely different part of my brain than the one that writes the original story, because doing revisions requires the use of logic. How to explain? When I write, I tend to write by instinct. Doing revisions means shifting to a far more conscious sort of writing, when I feel as if I'm performing very delicate surgery on my manuscript.

Does that make sense? Or maybe I should go get some caffeine in me before I start trying to analyse the magic that is story.

No comments :