Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Sugar & Spice

Paul Verhoeven, director of the first Basic Instinct (which scored US$353 million worldwide) as well as the widely ridiculed Showgirls (now regarded as something of a camp classic), attributes the genre's demise to the current American political climate.

"Anything that is erotic has been banned in the United States," said the Dutch native.

I found that a very interesting comment in view of the explosion of erotic fiction. The full article can be found here - Erotic Thrillers Lose Steam At Box Office.

For a different point of view, have a read of this interesting RTB post by Nell Dixon where she talks about sweet romance's place in publishing today.
At the moment it seems that romantica, erotica and the spicier forms of romance are the flavour of the moment...

Diametrically opposing thoughts, but maybe it just depends where you're standing? Perhaps it's not that everything erotic has been banned in the States, but that it's difficult to make movies that are truly erotic and interesting. Or maybe it has to do with the fact that a lot of erotic fiction is written by women while the movies are made by men? Should they be making bestselling erotic novels written by women into movies instead?

I really have no idea where I'm going with this post but I just found the two opposing points of view quite interesting. I think they both hold grains of truth. Maybe the answer is somewhere in the middle?

Thoughts?

5 comments :

Anonymous said...

I've read Nell's post in Romancing The Blog and the comments, and I think both were great. I also think the truth is somewhere in between. As far as I can see, erotic romance is hugely popular now, but it doesn't mean sweet romance is forgotten. For me, it's mostly about the personal taste.

Cyn Bagley said...

Umm.. I don't mind one or two sex scenes, but some books that are sex romps from start to finish don't hold my attention except LKH. ;-)

Nalini Singh said...

Olga & Milady - I tend to agree that it's about taste, too. And yes, too much of anything will give you a stomachache, no?

Cynthia *g* I love LKH! I know some people are sick of her now but not me. It's like I'm compelled to buy everything she writes.

Milady - no worries! Look forward to reading your post. :)

Emma - *g*

Hi Alison - I agree about the apples and oranges. What caught my eye was just the contrasting points of view. I also reckon another factor is the 'squirminess' thing (kind of an extension of what Emma's saying about the comfort of your own home and what you said about the internet). I mean how many people really like sitting in a crowded theatre watching erotic stuff?

Cyn Bagley said...

You know.. LKH is great.. and yea I like Anita Blake. I think it is because I am so there when I read her books. None of that wooden feeling that I get with midlist books. ;-)

Nalini Singh said...

I agree, she's definitely in a class of her own. Her world is completely hers!