Tuesday, January 06, 2009

Black Magic Woman - Justin Gustainis

This is the first book in the "Quincey Morris Supernatural Investigations" series, and I tell you, I'm hooked!

Here's the blurb (from the author's website):
Occult investigator Quincey Morris and his "consultant", white witch Libby Chastain, are hired to free a family from a deadly curse that appears to date back to the Salem witch trials.

Fraught with danger, the trail finds them stalking the mysterious occult underworlds of Boston, San Francisco, New Orleans, and New York, searching out the root of the curse. After surviving a seris of terrifying attempts on their lives, the two find themselves drawn inexorably towards Salem itself—the very heart of darkness.
I'd put this book in the thriller with a touch of horror category. There's no romance element, but if you enjoy urban fantasy, I think you'll enjoy this. Quincey & Libby are both smart, likeable characters, and the world is brilliantly realized.


I'm looking forward to getting my hands on
Evil Ways, the second book in the series, very soon.

Totally recommended!


Anyone else read it? Thoughts? Other recommendations from your holiday reading?

3 comments :

Gail Leinweber said...

I read G.A. Aiken's Dragon Actually and thought it was hilarious. Aiken turns out to be a pseudonym of Shelly Laurenston where she's writing were-dragons instead of were-lions.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the recommendation Nalini. (I set the books on my amazon wish list).

I could recommend a lot of good books, but the problem is, that they`re in German.
(E.g. the books of Emilia Jones, Jennifer Schreiner, Kerstin Dirks/Sandra Henke [I think these autors would be liked by your readers, too.] or Daniel Glattauers E-Mail -Novel
"Gut gegen Nordwind/ engl. Good against borealis"
- This book e.g. is a e-mail-dialoge about a married moman and an unknown. They met accidentally via E-Mail and can`t broke up the contact, because there`s an subliminal attraction... During the further sites it goes about the question, if a real meating will survive their e-mail-realationship [allways with a subliminal question of attraction]...

Current I`m addicted to the book series of J12H (John Twelve Hawks). Never read something like that before. It`s a science fiction novel with some parts that`re (sometimes) far-too real. And of course, it contains a love story that shouldn`t be. But I think that this book is not everyone`s taste. Especially if you like more romantic novels.

~Eva

orannia said...

Hmmm....sounds interesting, and am I the only one who has the song 'Black Magic Woman' in their head at the moment :)